On April 4, 2013, a judge at the Jingjiang City People’s Court, Jiangsu Province, put a Beijing rights defense lawyer, Wang Quanzhang (王全璋), under a 10-day judicial detention for “serious violations of court procedure.”  Wang is currently being held at the Jingjiang Detention Center.

Human Rights in China has learned that at approximately 3:30 p.m. on February 27, 2013, four unidentified men in Hefei, Anhui Province, took Zhang Anni (张安妮), the ten-year-old daughter of long-time rights activist, Zhang Lin (张林), from her school and detained her in a police precinct in the Hupo district of the city.

In an open letter to China’s legislature and political advisory body to demand a just resolution of the June Fourth crackdown on the Democracy Movement of 1989, the Tiananmen Mothers stress that “the only feasible way to solve the June Fourth issue is through legislative and judicial procedures.”

In two complaints (Chinese only), lawyers representing Shenzhen police officer Wang Dengchao (王登朝), who is waiting for an appeal ruling on his 14-year prison sentence on “embezzlement” and “obstructing official business,” named 23 individuals in the Shenzhen municipal and local Luohu authorities—including the mayor and Party Secretary of Shenzhen—as being complicit in a gross miscarriage of justice in Wang’s case.

HRIC has learned that on February 8, 2013, Shanghai petitioner Mao Hengfeng (毛恒凤), who was ordered to serve one year-and-a-half of Reeducation-Through-Labor (RTL), was released from the Yangpu District Detention Center to serve her RTL at home. She had been held at the detention center since late September 2012, after being picked up in Beijing where she was petitioning. Mao is reunited with her husband, Wu Xuewei (吴雪伟), who had not been permitted to see her during her detention.

Sources told HRIC that during the three-hour appeals hearing on February 7, 2013 that ended without a ruling, the Shenzhen Municipal Intermediate People's Court repeatedly interrupted the lawyers for Shenzhen police officer Wang Dengchao (王登朝), who was sentenced to 14 years in prison on “embezzlement” and “obstructing official business.” Wang, 38, has maintained that these charges were trumped-up.  

The husband of Shanghai rights activist Mao Hengfeng (毛恒凤) told HRIC that he has not been allowed to visit or contact Mao since she was first detained on September 30, 2012, and is deeply concerned about her condition.

In a letter to Beijing and Inner Mongolia Autonomous Region (IMAR) authorities, the lawyer for Mongolian dissident Hada (哈达) accuses the IMAR police of illegally detaining Hada in order to compel him to admit that he was guilty. He was convicted of separatism and espionage in 1996 and served a 15-year term which ended in December 2010. Hada never admitted guilt during his trial or his imprisonment.

In a phone conversation with HRIC, Uiles (威勒斯), the son of Mongolian dissident Hada (哈达), who has been under more than two years of illegal detention, says that his father is severely withdrawn and has psychological problems but is being denied medical treatment.

tinymouse