Job posting: New York Program Director
Location: New York City
Type of position: FT w/ benefits
Start date: Negotiable
Human Rights in China (HRIC), a dynamic NGO dedicated to promoting and advancing human rights in China, is looking for a bilingual (Mandarin and English) Program Director at its New York office.
HRIC was founded by Chinese students and scholars in March 1989. Its mission is to promote international human rights and advance the institutional protection of these rights in the People’s Republic of China.
You’ll enjoy working at HRIC if you are:
- Passionate about human rights and activism;
- Committed to the highest standards of excellence and professionalism;
- Willing to take the initiative in implementing leading-edge strategies;
- Looking for a friendly, professional, fast-paced, international work environment.
The Program Director will be responsible for coordinating HRIC’s three main areas of advocacy: domestic advocacy, international advocacy, and information communications technology (ICT) advocacy. The Program Director will work directly with staff in HRIC’s offices in New York and Hong Kong to plan and implement advocacy and research projects. The Program Director must have the ability to develop and execute in collaboration with the Executive Director coherent and effective short- and long-term strategies that support HRIC’s mission.
The Program Director will provide key oversight and direction in HRIC’s ICT program, integrating technology and human rights. S/he will be responsible for managing HRIC’s current ICT program and collaborations, and developing new technology-related activities, projects, and partnerships that support and complement HRIC’s domestic and international advocacy work.
The Program Director will also be directly responsible for substantive research and drafting projects. S/he will report directly to the Executive Director.
- Native-level fluency in Mandarin Chinese and in English. Candidates without demonstrable fluency in both languages should not apply.
- Commitment to HRIC’s mission and to working in a high-energy, collaborative NGO that insists on the highest professional and public-interest standards.
- Prior human rights research and/or advocacy experience, excellent analytical, organizational and planning skills, and demonstrated experience and interest in the area of technology.
- At least five years of senior management experience in an NGO or the private sector.
- Demonstrated interest in China and dedication to human rights issues.
- Completion of graduate studies (e.g., J.D., M.B.A., M.A. in international relations, politics, Chinese studies, or other relevant field) or equivalent experience.
- The candidate must be well-organized, detail-oriented, cooperative, and a self-starter who is comfortable handling multiple tasks; s/he must have the ability to communicate clearly and effectively both verbally and in writing.
Salary commensurate with experience.
Apply immediately. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. Please e-mail a cover letter, resume, and at least three references to: email@example.com, with “NY Program Director” in the subject line.
Human Rights in China (HRIC) is an equal opportunity employer.