Human Rights in China (HRIC) has learned that the
Guangzhou Procuratorate has sent back the case against rights defender Guo
Feixiong (also known as Yang Maodong) for a new round of investigation due
to insufficient evidence. In addition, Guo has been transferred to a detention
center in Liaoning, in spite of assurances earlier this month by Guangzhou
authorities that this would not happen.
Guo Feixiong, who provided legal
advice in a number of controversial rights defense cases, was detained on
September 14, 2006, and formally arrested on September 30, 2006 on suspicion of
"illegal business activity." According to the indictment against Gao, the
allegation stems from some editing work he did for a book published in Liaoning
Province regarding a political scandal in Shenyang City. The Guangzhou Public
Security Bureau (PSB) referred the case to the Guangzhou Municipal Procuratorate
on October 19, but the procuratorate sent the case back to the PSB on October 28
for further investigation. On January 6, 2007, Guo's wife, Zhang Qing, received
a letter from him in prison stating that on December 28, 2006, the procuratorate
had informed him that it had received a "statement of investigation" from the
PSB, and that Guo could seek legal counsel.
However, sources in China
told HRIC that on January 22, a case officer from the Guangzhou PSB surnamed
Chen telephoned Guo's wife and told her that on January 19 the Guangzhou
Procuratorate had sent the case back again on the grounds of insufficient
evidence, and that the case had been transferred to the authorities in Liaoning
Province. The PSB officer further told Zhang Qing that Guo Feixiong himself had
been transferred to the Liaoning Provincial Detention Center on January 20. This
occurred just a week after Guangzhou authorities had assured Zhang Qing through
Guo's lawyer that Guo's case would not be transferred.
Guo Feixiong was
detained and beaten on a number of occasions in 2005 and 2006 before he was
formally arrested. He has told his lawyer that he has been subjected to severe
physical abuse and round-the-clock interrogation in detention, and he has
reportedly gone on hunger strike for a total of 40 days in protest against his
treatment.
HRIC expresses strong concern over Guo's transfer to a
distant location, and the dragging out of an investigation that after more than
four months has still not generated sufficient evidence to proceed. HRIC urges
the Chinese authorities to immediately provide Guo with all necessary and
appropriate medical care. This case also raises serious questions over the
retaliatory use of the criminal process against rights defenders and activists.
Guo Feixiong’s Case Delayed, Transferred
2007-01-22