This account describes the forced eviction of Zhou Xiaowei and his elderly mother from their Nantong home in the early morning of July 16, 2013. They now have nowhere to live after their home was forcibly demolished.
Photo from the eviction of Zhou Xiaowei and his mother from their home in downtown Nantong, Jiangsu Province.
(This is an eyewitness account told to Shuangjian) At approximately 6:00 a.m. on July 16, 2013, 70-80 unidentified persons (many with tattoos on their bodies) came to the home of Mr. Zhou Xiaowei, which is located across the street from the office of a sub-division of the Nantong Traffic Police. These persons forcibly evicted him and his mother, who is in her 70s, while they were still sleeping. They then violently demolished their house, which had been occupied by his family for generations.
Mr. Zhou's house is located in the downtown area of Nantong City. Several years ago, houses in this area were marked for demolition, which is to be carried out by Baolong Real Estate Development Company, to make way for high-end housing.
Mr. Zhou refused to sign the eviction agreement because the developer has not adequately followed proper procedures and failed to provide sufficient compensation. Due to his resistance, his mother was assaulted and injured by the company's thugs (the police have not taken any action on this incident). Mr. Zhou also said that he quit his job because of the imminent eviction. He is still unmarried (he is in his 40s).
Mr. Zhou said today's violent eviction had to be pre-meditated. It was only a few days ago that the head of the Neighborhood Administration office called him to discuss the matter, and told him that demolition would take place today. He called 110, but the police did not come and the criminals left with ease. In tears, Mr. Zhou said he didn't know where he would stay for the night. He is not concerned about himself, but his old mother is sick and will suffer, especially when a typhoon is expected to come soon.