Date posted: November 18, 2016
Location: Hong Kong
Status: Full Time Employee.
Job description: The Program Officer is a key member of the HRIC team and will contribute to all aspects of the organization’s policy advocacy efforts, including research and communications work, casework, and capacity-building activities. The Program Officer will work with the Hong Kong and New York teams and under the supervision of the Executive Director.
This position is ideal for someone who is passionate about joining a mission-driven organization with a focus on making a difference in Hong Kong and mainland China. The ideal candidate is someone who is interested in and committed to working on a wide range of human rights issues across diverse fora and through varied approaches. HRIC offers a professional, fast-paced, multicultural, and collaborative environment with significant growth opportunities for the right person.
Role and responsibilities:
- Perform specific program tasks, including:
- desk, online, and field research that feeds into policy advocacy materials for governments and UN mechanisms
- communications work aimed at bringing international press and public attention to cases and issues
- casework to assist in raising awareness of individual cases and issues
- close monitoring of rights-related developments in Hong Kong and mainland China
- content creation and updates for HRIC website
- translation of documents and other materials
- organizing workshops and events
- outreach to and collaboration with diverse civil society groups, including international NGOs and activists
- Oversee day-to-day management of program activities in region under the supervision of the New York Office
- Other related duties as assigned
Requirements for the position:
- Native-level language ability in Chinese and English; native-level fluency in Cantonese a strong preference
- 3-5 years of relevant professional experience and a degree in human rights, law, journalism, public policy, or a related field
- Demonstrated interest in the advancement of human rights and advocacy work
- Strong research and analytical skills, and the ability to summarize complex information in an accessible form for diverse audiences
- Strong expository writing skills
- Excellent new media communication skills and understanding of social media strategies
- Excellent planning and organizational skills; ability to multitask, prioritize, and meet multiple deadlines
- Strong self-initiative and ability to work in a team and with integrity, and commitment to the highest professional standards
Salary: Commensurate with qualifications and experience.
How to Apply: Send resume and cover letter to: email@example.com; please indicate that you are applying for the “Program Officer (Hong Kong) position” in the subject line.
Human Rights in China is an equal opportunity employer.